On to Milan! I originally wasn't going to come here because I had heard it was just a big industrial city without too much to offer when it comes to sightseeing, but I am glad I went and actually found it quite an interesting city! I arrived at the main train station, which is very old and beautiful inside, got a map, and started walking down via Vittor Pisani toward the center of the city. I got about a third of the way there and decided to start looking for a place to stay so I wouldn't have too long of a haul on my way out of town. Plus my bags were getting heavy, and it had actually warmed up quite a bit. It was the first time on this trip that I didn't have to wear my raincoat! After stopping at a few places, I found a small little hotel where I parked myself for two nights. I dropped my things off and went back out to the main street to catch a sightseeing bus and get an idea of how the city was set up. It was a pretty good tour, and I took note of the places I wanted to return to. After coming back to my stop, I got off and wandered through Giardini Pubblici, a large public garden near my hotel. It's a really nice park with lots of different paths to walk, a planetarium, Natural History Museum, and a pretty pond in the middle. Lots families were out and about, and many of the children were dressed up in costumes and throwing confetti and streamers, like I saw in Bologna.
The next day, I walked to the center of town and started my sightseeing at the Castello Sforzesco, and old castle/fortress that now houses some museums. In the courtyard, a big tent was set up that looked like it was for a fashion show. Well, this was Milan, right?! :) I went from there to the Cenacolo Vinciano, where da Vinci's The Last Supper is housed. I had read that you needed a reservation to get in, but I figured it was low season and that I'd just go over and try to get a ticket. I was informed, quite succinctly, that I indeed did need a reservation (in my head I'm thinking, "Ok, I'll make one for later today"), and that, in fact, it needed to be "2 weeks in advance!" Uh, ok, I guess I won't be seeing The Last Supper! Maybe some day in the future...when I come back with a reservation!
I walked back to Piazza Castello and down Via Dante, a large pedestrian street lined with stores, musicians playing for money, etc. I made my way to La Scala, a very famous opera house in Milan. I went through the museum, but wasn't able to see inside the actual theatre because there was a show about to start. I considered buying a ticket, but the box office is in another part of town, and I didn't think I'd be able to make it there and back before the show started. (I did walk up to where they were letting people in and tried to sneak a quick peek in - saw a tiny bit!) I did see a picture of it in the bookshop, though, and it looks like a beautiful sight to see. I did try later to get a ticket to the show that night, but they were all sold out.
I headed over to the Duomo next, which is just gorgeous from the outside. It looks like one of those drip sandcastles I used to make on the beach as a kid...really beautiful. The main square in front of the church, Piazza Duomo, was packed with people. It seemed like it was one of those places that was packed all the time, no matter what. Families with their kids, teenagers hanging out with their friends, people eating lunch... I went inside the cathedral, which is very impressive as well. You can also climb to the roof of the church. It's a lot of steps to the top, but worth it when you make it up there. It was pretty cool walking around on the top of the church, and there were great views of the whole city from up there.
I came back down and wandered along Vittorio Emanuele II, which is a pedestrian street that runs along the side of the church. It leads up to Piazza San Babila, and the whole area is a big shopping zone. In fact, there are several shopping areas in Milan - Via Dante, Via Vittoria Emanuele II, Corso Buenos Aires, and Via Manzoni (where Georgio Armani has a building built on a whole block, with different stores and a hotel), among others. I eventually made my way back toward my hotel, grabbed dinner, and called it a night.
I liked Milan, and was glad I came here. I found it much more metropolitan than industrial, and it reminded me a bit of New York City at times. Fashion and shopping is obviously a big part of what the city is known for, but it was actually nice just walking around and seeing some lesser-known areas that were interesting as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment