Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Travels (the book)


Seeing as how this is a site dedicated to traveling, I figured it would be appropriate to write about one of my favorite books, Travels, by the late great author Michael Crichton.  Now, I love all his books, but there is something special about this one, something that speaks to my soul!  It is one of the few books that I have read more than once, and the one book I could see myself reading many more times.  The first hundred pages or so detail his experience at Harvard Medical School.  Upon completing his program, he decided to pursue his love of writing instead.  He seeks out new and exciting experiences around the world, and the rest of the book jumps from one adventure to the next, from working in Hollywood and adapting his books into movies, to swimming with sharks in Tahiti, to trekking through Rwanda.  One of his stories that has always stood out to me, though, is his climb of Mount Kilimanjaro.  Ever since reading about that, I have wanted to make the trek myself.  And finally, this is a dream that will come to fruition about a month from now!  Crichton said, "Often I feel I go to some distant region of the world to be reminded of who I really am."  Besides traveling around the world, Crichton's novel also details some of the spiritual journeys he took within himself.  As I have somewhat spent the last few years in a soul-searching journey, I find I can relate to this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment