Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Preparing for the Climb



“When you are in the valley, keep your goal firmly in view and you will get the renewed energy to continue the climb.” - Denis Waitley



As the date for my Kilimanjaro trek with my dad draws steadily nearer, I find I’m getting a bit more nervous about it.  Still excited, but a few nerves have set in as well - Will I make it to the top?  Am I in good enough shape?  Will I succumb to altitude sickness?...And the past two days haven’t exactly eased my worries.  Yesterday I went to the travel doctor - had to get a yellow fever shot and some typhoid and malaria medicine.  I also was all set to pick up a Diamox prescription, which helps prevent Altitude Sickness.  I’ve been telling people for weeks whenever they ask what we’re going to do about the altitude, “Oh we’re taking Diamox to help us.”  So imagine my surprise when I found out that I am ALLERGIC to Diamox!  *Pause in disbelief *  Awesome.  So instead, I was prescribed a steroid to help with the altitude...
So, after that first curve ball, today dawned just like any other day, though my morning quickly turned hysterical, and I don’t mean in a funny way.  When I found out that I might not be able to obtain a visa to enter Tanzania, I realized that could be quite problematic, seeing as how Mount Kilimanjaro IS IN TANZANIA...!  Your passport needs to still be valid for 6 months after your arrival in the country.  Well, my passport falls just shy of that...problem?  Yes.  Fun feeling?  NO.  Needless to say, the hysterics began to set in... Yes, I realize I should have known about this WAY in advance, but, these things happen, and you just have to deal.  So, since our departure date is in less than 2 weeks, I’m on a speedy mission to get an expedited new passport and get that information to airlines, travel company, etc. before we leave.  Not the best start to the day, but with my renewal form filled out, my passport appointment made, new passport photos taken, good conversation with friends and family, and a kick-butt Zumba class rounding out my day, I’m in a much better place than I was earlier!
It’s funny, I went back and read Michael Crichton’s section on Kilimanjaro that he wrote for his book Travels, and I’m wondering what in the world possessed me to want to do this...His description of the climb is nothing short of miserable!  Though, he did admit he was completely unprepared for what was in store. (And it was about 30 years ago...some things have changed since then.)  I guess the part that stuck with me was his end feeling of accomplishment, of sticking it out during the rough parts, of redefining himself from the kind of person he thought he was to discovering new things about himself.  He recalls his only thoughts upon reaching the top:  “I am here.  I got here.  I am at the summit of Kilimanjaro.”  That’s my hope as well.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Kelly! Excitement abounds you! I hope you get your passport swiftly! Have a very safe trip and enjoy each precious moment with your Dad. Whatever happens will be great!I am in Maine with my mother, brother and son. Very happy to be enjoying the summer! I had to leave San Diego for it to feel like summer or I just keep cleaning my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn! I hope you're enjoying Maine. It's beautiful up there! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super excited for you, Kelly! Hope you and your dad have a great climb. I look forward to reading your future blog posts.

    ReplyDelete