Two members of our group are starting to feel the altitude. One threw up a couple times last night and the other has a bad headache. I’ve been lying awake here for a while thinking about the summit climb, beginning to have doubts creep into my head. Will I make it? Will I be too tired? Will the altitude get to me? I’m thinking about the importance of taking it one step at a time - pole pole - drinking enough water, eating enough food, staying warm, breathe in - breathe out. Slow pace is the key.
Our guide just came to tell us that our other groups members are feeling better, which is great to hear. Breakfast is soon, and then we’ll be heading out on our hike.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
We are now at Lava Tower Campsite. We hiked here this morning, had lunch, then set out for an afternoon acclimatization hike. Our camp sits at the base of the main mountain. It feels good to be so close now. Our trail today merged with trails from other campsites, so there was a lot more traffic passing us by. There are other groups at our site, some of their porters are quite lively! One of our porters got sick today and had to head back down. One of our guides also had to go back. My stomach has begun to bother me. It doesn’t seem to be the altitude...I hope it feels better soon.
| this grows everywhere...out of the dirt, out of rocks... |
| Kili |
| on the trail...still smiling! |
| another gorgeous night! |
No comments:
Post a Comment