Last night was very windy and cold, and our tent kept blowing wildly throughout the night. It was very cold this morning as we started our hike. The sun had not quite come out yet, and we were all bundled up. The hike itself was long and technical today. We climbed way down into the Barranco Valley, only to climb back up the cliffs again. It was tough, but it’s been the most interesting day of hiking so far. It felt like we were truly trekking the mountain. It was dangerous in many parts, where we could have easily slipped. We stopped for a boxed lunch about halfway through the hike.
The camp we are at now, Karanga, is quite busy. This seems to be where the trails are all merging, as we are getting closer to summit day. Our groups is off to the side a bit so we can be more isolated from the rest, but there are about 7 or 8 other groups here as well.
It’s crazy to think we are more than halfway through this experience so far. Tomorrow we hike to the next camp, but then it’s summit night! Hard to believe. I also can’t believe how dirty I am. I feel like the dirt is caked into my body! It’s a part of me now. No matter how many times I wash my hands or use sanitizer, it’s still there, embedded into my skin. I keep thinking of The Scottish Play - “What, will these hands ne’er be clean?” I’m really glad to be here doing this, but wonder why I wanted to in the first place! I have to make it to the top because this is shaping out to be a one-time thing. Thank goodness for these porters. They are amazing, carrying the campsite and all our bags, having everything set up by the time we reach the next camp. Our guides are all very nice, especially our head guide, Henry. He’s very attentive and kind. He debriefs with us every day and checks in with us to make sure we are doing okay. We are lucky to have him and the others.
The scenery has been breathtaking as we’ve walked along. We are constantly above the clouds on our right and the Kili peak rises up on our left. The glaciers hanging on the mountain are beautiful, and the valleys we look down on are awe-inspiring...really magnificent.
 |
| the terrain is changing again |
 |
| we stopped here for lunch |
 |
| Kili |
 |
| more vegetation |
 |
| Kili |
 |
| our campsite |
 |
| campsite |
 |
| sunset |
No comments:
Post a Comment